Monday, January 02, 2012

Clueless

Since I came back from Selective/Elective, I was in Family Med posting for 4 weeks followed by 2 weeks of Ortho and 2 weeks of Psych. Ortho was fun! Previously, I disliked everything about it because I could not understand the concept behind it and the scope of learning was so wide that I had no idea what to focus on because in EOS 7 back then, anything could come out. Anyway, that was the past. In short, exams were horribly tough. With only 10 minutes per SAQ question, I pretty much stared at my paper. Only Ortho SAQ paper was do-able because what we learned actually came out unlike the other postings, questions asked were cases we hardly see in the clinic.

Just entering Dermatology posting. It's a two week posting and 1 week has passed. I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. As usual, I don't get many things. I mean, yeah, it takes experience to tell what the person has but it's all so SIMILAR. =.= And, really, it does get me frustrated when everyone goes like, "Yeah, it's scaly, there are plaques.. It's *fill in the blanks*" And I don't see scales. Maybe because the scales I had in mind were like animal scales but I'm just trying really hard but still, I don't see it. Maybe I'm too far away from the lesion or I just need a magnifying glass. Then, differentials would come out - psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, atopic eczema etc etc. Then, I get all stressed out.

Just the other day, my group came across one condition called keratosis pilaris. It's a common condition but the name itself gives me that awkward feeling like how I'm learning a whole new set of language in Dermato.

Oh, in 5 weeks time, there's an ACLS theory and practical to sit for. We are on our own. Minor postings, to me is packed and somehow, I've got to fit time to memorize the algorithms like how seniors did. It's just the 1st out of the 8 weeks in minor postings and I'm already stressed. =.= I hope ENT, Ophthalmo and A&E wouldn't be too bad.

No comments: